Steam Cleaning of Laminate Floor: Issues & Solutions
What are Laminate Floors?
Laminate floors are a combination of resin, plastic and wood. They are very durable, easy to maintain, and give an impressive look to your indoors. However, these floors get stained by dust, footprints of pets and toddlers or any spilt food.
Now, you have to clean it, and one of your friends recommends you opt for steam cleaning. But do not hurry to choose steam cleaning as a reliable method for cleaning your laminate floor. Go through its aftermaths on your floor surface and then consider moving forward.
In this blog, we will see how steam cleaning works, how it affects your laminate floor and whether you should use it. We will also see the best technique as an alternative to steam cleaning if steam cleaning is not suitable. Let’s begin:
How Does Steam Cleaning Works?
A variety of steam cleaners are available in the market for steam cleaning. Steam cleaning is a relatively simple method that uses no potential chemicals or cleaning agents to mop your laminate floor.
Once you switch on the cleaner, high-pressure steam removes the dust particles, allergens or small fibres to give a pristine look.
Feel Free To Get In Touch With Us To Get A Quote Over Different Laminate Flooring Service
Can I Steam Clean Laminate Floors?
Although durable, the laminate floor contains wood with delicate fibres. When you apply steam on these fibres, the heat and the moisture damage them. Also, the heat affects the adhesive that adheres to all the layers of the laminate floor. Ultimately, the floor’s integrity will be compromised, and you will have to replace it.
One may recommend you pick up a waterproof laminate floor. It will give additional protection against steam; however, the facts lie on the other side. Steam and moisture can damage waterproof laminate floors as well. So, it is better to avoid steam cleaning your laminate floor.
Useful Tips for Floor Cleaning
As you have learned, steam cleaning is not a solution to mopping; let’s look for some other helpful ways that would serve our cleaning purpose yet maintain the integrity of the floor.
- Pick a special solution to mop your laminate floor. You can make your own if you do not want to buy one from the market. All you have to do is mix 3 parts of water with 1 part of vinegar. Now add 1 teaspoon of washing-up liquid and mix up all the components together.
- Also, make sure to keep your floor clean so that nothing gets stuck to its surface and damages its shine.
- Avoid using excessive cleaning solutions for mopping. Also, use a microfibre mop for detailed mopping.
- If you think any spill will leave persistent stains, immediately wipe it out.
- Lastly, once mopped, let your floor dry so all the moisture disappears.